Difference Between Modular & Semi-modular Kitchen Designs
The kitchen design has changed a lot over the years. Modern kitchen designs are very different from traditional kitchens. You get two types of modern kitchens; modular kitchensand semi-modular kitchens. However, people are not fully aware of the differences between the two and often mistake a semi-modular kitchen for a modular kitchen. Even though they are similar, there are plenty of differences between a modular kitchen and a semi-modular kitchen. If you are designing a kitchen from scratch or remodeling your old one, you should be aware of these differences before getting started. It will help you to make the right decision for your home interiors.
Table of Contents
What is a modular kitchen?
All the parts of a modular kitchen are created at a factory, and they are assembled at the site. If you ever plan to shift to a different home or apartment, the part can be dismantled and put together back again in your new home.
Advantages of a modular kitchen
- You can easily dismantle the parts and carry them with you when moving to your new home interiors. This will help you to save a lot of time and money.
- You do not have to worry about spending a lot of money on installation. All the parts are pre-fabricated at a factory and assembled at the site without putting in a lot of time and effort.
- If a part of your modular kitchen design gets damaged, you do not have to worry about spending a lot of money. Only that part can be separately repaired or replaced. Also, it will save time and ensure that your kitchen does not stay out of order for too long.
- Modular kitchens come with modern detachable units and fittings. These make cleaning your modular kitchen extremely easy and convenient. You will not have to waste a lot of time.
- People looking for contemporary kitchen designs should opt for modular kitchens. These are sleek, minimalistic, and have a modern feel to them. You can make them appear quite appealing and elegant as well.
- You will not have to worry about finding the right option for your kitchen. There are lots of options available in terms of colours, finishes, sizes, etc.
- You get a better finish in a modular kitchen since all the parts are made using machines. It helps to get accuracy and precision.
- People looking for a perfectly organised kitchen should consider choosing a modular kitchen. This is because a designated space is created for all kitchen essentials. It makes using the kitchen more convenient. You will be able to find everything easily while cooking.
Disadvantages of a modular kitchen
- One of the biggest reasons people do not opt for a modular kitchen is the budget. Choosing a modular kitchen can be expensive. It is not the best option for people looking for budget-friendly options.
- The quality of materials used in the modular kitchen might not be very durable and sturdy if you do not choose high-quality, expensive options. They can easily get damaged, and you will require frequent repair sessions.
What is a semi-modular Kitchen?
A Semi-modular kitchen is built around an existing civil structure. The countertop, sink, etc. are built by civil work professionals on-site. You cannot dismantle the parts and assemble them again at a different location. Therefore, it is close to a modular kitchen but is certainly different from one. Many people call it a carpenter-made kitchen design as well.
Advantages of semi-modular kitchen
- The build of a semi-modular kitchen is different from a modular kitchen. This makes it a cheaper alternative to modular kitchens. People looking for budget-friendly options prefer a semi-modular kitchen.
Disadvantages of semi-modular kitchen
- All the parts of a semi-modular kitchen are not made in a factory like a modular kitchen. The units are man-made. As a result, there is less precision and accuracy. Moreover, it might not be able to compete with a modular kitchen in terms of quality and finish.
- You do not get as many options as you get with modular kitchens when choosing a semi-modular kitchen. Therefore, your kitchen interior design might not appear exactly the way you want it.
- The parts of your semi-modular kitchen cannot be dismantled and then assembled again like a modular kitchen. Therefore, you cannot shift them to your new home while moving.
- The sides of the cabinets are shared among the adjoined ones. If there is any issue with one of the parts, you may find it difficult to repair only that part without disturbing the rest of the areas. Therefore, repairing a semi-modular kitchen is tricky.
- The design of your semi-modular kitchen is not as space-efficient as a modular kitchen. You will not be able to access each and every corner of your kitchen.
- You may find it a little difficult to install a few modern appliances after civil work.